As an anthropologist, writer, and the daughter of two journalists, interviews and storytelling are a core practice in all my enterprises. In addition, I have conducted dozens of interviews and public engagement opportunities through my work as a writer for the University of Florida and a researcher for Alachua County government. The story is the basis for all strategic communications, and I am skilled at hearing, writing, and telling stories, in whatever form and style is the most effective for the audience.
Writer/Strategic Communications Specialist, Communications Office, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, University of Florida (June 2016 – present)
• Management of official College social media accounts: I developed and executed campaigns and strategies to exponentially grow our following.
• Interviews and storywriting of College faculty, students, and postdocs: I’ve written dozens of profiles, news articles, and other written content for dissemination in local and national news, our in-house publications, departmental publications, and our website.
• Press releases and national news pitching: In coordination with UF’s News Bureau and PR team, I’ve written several news releases about our faculty’s research that were picked up by national and international press outlets.
• Content generation and editing for promotional, development, and advancement materials for the College
• Audit and revision of content from College website
Program Manager, Office of Sustainability, Alachua County: Board of County Commissioners, Gainesville, FL
- Development of educational and outreach materials
- Interviews and surveys of community stakeholders
- Writing press releases and public outreach documents
- Writing research reports and memos to the County Commission and Constitutional Officers
- Presenting to local governments and advisory committees
Marketing Director, interim, DreamQuilt LLC, Gainesville, Florida
- Collaborating with our Marketing and Press Specialists to develop marketing plans, press releases, and customer engagement content
Webmaster, Department of Anthropology, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida (August 2013 to October 2014)
- Supervising two employees for the audit and organization of content for old website
- Transferring content from old website to new platform and development of new content for upgraded website
- Creating social media identities and integrating content into the website
- Publishing photos and developing interactive elements for the website
Webmaster, Acrosstown Repertory Theatre, Gainesville, Florida (September 2010 to March 2014)
- I redesigned the ART website and posted new content. I also worked with the publicity team to integrate with our various social media.
Editor/Staff Writer, Spectator student newspaper, Valdosta State University, Valdosta, GA (April 2009 – April 2010)
- Copy editing, editing for general style/content
- Opinion and news writing
- Public speaking
- Professional writing
- Journalistic writing and AP style
- Academic writing
- Academic styles: MLA, APA, Chicago, AAA
- Word processing (Microsoft Word, Microsoft Publisher, Mac OS X Pages, Adobe InDesign)
- Digital presentations (Microsoft PowerPoint, Mac OS X Keynote, Prezi)
- Video editing (Adobe Premiere, iMovie)
- Audio editing
- Graphic design (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Social media: Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, Instagram
- Webmastery: copy writing, photo publishing, social media integration, HTML coding, PHP coding, CSS styling, content management systems, mail configuration, MySQL configuration